Tuesday 8 September 2015

Beautiful Thing Review (Play)

I recently found out that through my University I have access to the website Digital Theatre Plus which allows me the watch theatre shows that have been filmed for free. However if you don't have access to the service for free you can buy or rent the shows on their non educational site which is just Digital Theatre.

I thought I would start with a play that I had never heard of before this was Beautiful Thing written by Jonathan Harvey and Directed by Nikolai Foster. Starring Suranne Jones, Zaraah Abrahams, Oliver Franworth, Jake Davis and Danny-Boy Hatchard.



Beautiful Thing is set in South East London on a gritty council estate, the play struggles with the struggles of growing up in a neighbourhood that might not accept you for who you are. Everything in the production felt real, the characters were not polished people who do no wrong, the kids skip school and swear and the Jamie's mother is a single parent who dreams of something better. The Love story in Beautiful Thing is one that should stand the test of time.



Both the writing and the acting of the characters Ste and Jamie perfectly embody the difficulty of realising who the are and having to deal with accepting themselves and the risk of telling people in a surrounding and time when it could have severe repercussions.

If you do get the chance to watch or read Beautiful Thing please do and you will finish it with a warm feeling in your heart that love is possible and the world isn't so bad after all.

I apologise if this review is a bit rough around the edges and not very detailed, it's my first attempt at a review.





No comments:

Post a Comment